Monday, February 5, 2018

warmer times.


You know when you feel really tired on a Monday and then you don't sleep that night, or then the next night, and then the next... And then, next thing you know it's Friday and you've maybe had 15 hours of sleep over the last 5 days? Well, that was me last week. Which meant, this past weekend was unlimited, uninterrupted, do-whatever-it-takes-to-sleep-a-palooza. I'm happy to report that Friday night I got over 10 hours of sleep, and Saturday night might have been slightly more. It was wonderful!

During those non-sleeping hours last week I tried every trick in the book to fall asleep, with no luck. I did, however, remember my favorite day this past summer in great detail. I felt like I could feel the warmth, and taste the air. As I was thinking about it I remembered that I also had pictures of it somewhere and thought that if I could find them, then I'd share this memory.. That way, one day, when I'm meandering through my posts, maybe I'll be reminded of it again. It's especially nice to remember right now when it "feels like" -2 outside and there is snow covering everything.

It was a late Saturday morning and we hiked Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve

To the right was the seemingly endless lake with sail boats and boats alike, all out enjoying a warm summer day. To the left of us were big, tall trees encapsulating mysterious sounds (probably a mix of the many varieties of birds the park is known for)... The grass was pushed down by the hikers who were there before us and everything seemed so calm and safe. Once you pass the big loop you can begin to see the Cleveland Skyline and all of downtown. It's always exciting to see and it really allows you to take in just how great the city is. Right below your feet is a steep drop-off and you can see the sandy shore where the calm waters were rolling in as little waves. 

After we took in the view of the man-made buildings and busy streets, we began again on the trail. Soon the city and water would be to our back as we move towards vast greenery. Just up the hill you could see tall grass... The trail, still pushed down and getting slightly muddier from the recent rain led the way. When you get to the top of the tiny hill you begin to see that it's not just tall grass that's waiting for you... It's flowers. It's a beautiful field, filled with hundreds of flowers. Untouched and beaming with the right ingredients to make you feel nothing but joy. I remember having to stop because I'd never really seen anything like that in person. There was no one else there at the time, besides us, and if I wouldn't have taken pictures to remind myself then I'd probably doubt that it was even real. 

I stood in that field and stared. The warmth from the sun surrounded me, and held me up. I felt simultaneously relaxed as could be, and excited enough to jump up and down out of pure excitement. It's crazy how nature can give you so much. That feeling really amplifies when you can take the time to truly appreciate it's value and everything it gives to us, to our lives.

And now, as I sit here and stare at bare trees and flowerless stems, I will remind myself that they are merely resting and eventually, even if for one second, the beauty of spring, summer and fall will be more than worth the wait. 





No comments:

Post a Comment