Wednesday, February 7, 2018

january book recap (100 words or less)




One of my goals for 2018 is to read 3-4 books a month. I genuinely love reading, but am so bad at keeping up with it. In the past I would read several books for months in a row and then just stop for a couple months. SO, I figured if I set a goal then I'd be forced to not stop (hopefully!).

One of my biggest peeves when trying to find a new book is that sometimes, the reviews themselves are as long as a novel... No thanks. SO, if anyone else feels the same and would like a quick, honest recap of a book then look no further. JK, some of these might not be your cup of tea, totally understand! 

In January, I read: 

Into The Water
The Assistants
Behind Closed Doors
and I started on Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine


Into The Water

Mystery: Danielle "Nel" Abbott is found in a local river that has a bad history. Nel is also very much obsessed with the back story and the women before her who were found in the river. Did she jump by choice, or was she pushed? 




This book was captivating, and at times I found it incredibly difficult to put down. Paula Hawkins became well known for The Girl on the Train which I read during an eight hour road trip. ONE SITTING! So I expected big things from "Into The Water". While it was great, it definitely didn't compare to her first novel. The novel is written in a format that each character involved in the story gets to tell their own story... which meant that I found myself going back several times to give myself a refresher course on who they were. If I were to read it again then I'd probably keep a notebook with each character so that I could remember it a little better. Overall, though it was a good, enticing story! 










The Assistants


Fiction: Tina Fontana is an assistance to a multi-billionare and a very trustworthy one at that. When an opportunity presents itself at the risk of losing that trust, will she take it? If she does, what will happen?




Right off the rip I found myself intrigued.  This was a quick, light read and very easy to see the story coming to life by the way the author detailed everything. Very practical and reasonable story line (not too far fetched) and perfect amount of suspense and comedic relief. I also found myself relating several times to the main character.














Behind Closed Doors


Mystery: Grace and Jack Angel seem like the perfect couple around their many elite friends. But what happens behinds closed doors? Do the friends even realize, or are they playing dumb?






This one wins it all. Holy smokes. I covered my eyes so many times while reading this... The author really did a great job of covering some horrible story lines in a very easy-to-read manner. I was so drawn into this book that I would think about it for hours after I put it down. When I finished the book, I was sitting on my couch and Cade on the loveseat and I finished the last page, closed the book, and threw it on the floor while yelling "OH WHAT?!". Guys, incredible. 












Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine


Eleanor Oliphant is the epitome of an introvert and homebody. As you quickly realize when you read it, she doesn't know any other way. Until Sammy, a kind older gentleman needs help and Eleanor and Raymond are handed a task of working together to better not only Sammy's life, but their own.




I want to sugar coat this book and say that I really enjoyed it (I did!), but the over-all truth is that I'll probably forget most of what the story is about eventually. Eleanor has a bizarre personality which develops and explains itself through the story, but the beginning was so slow and drawn out that it was difficult to get into. Once the story really hit it's climax though, I was glued. I felt every emotion... annoyed, happy, sad, mad, hopeful. If the author just sped up the beginning a little more then I think my opinion would be totally different! 











Happy readings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment