Sunday, February 18, 2018

a surprise getaway. [day one]


Last weekend, Cade completely surprised me with a pre-planned getaway. He did his research and made sure everything was taken care of (with the help of some very kind friends) and didn't say a word of it until I got home from work on Friday. The only thing he said, and asked was that I not make any plans for the weekend of the 10th, and that, if possible, it would be great if I could take a half day from work. Done, and done! 

When I got home from work on Friday, everything was all set. He surprised me with this birthday spinner to help keep us on the move without having to put too much thought into our next plan and we were off to Columbus! 






Here are a list of the places we visited during our little trip: 

Hoof Hearted Brewing
Seventh Son Brewing
Martini Modern Italian
Novak's Tavern
Fox in the Snow
North Market
Book Loft
Columbus IKEA

When we arrived in Columbus on Friday afternoon, our AirBNB wasn't quite ready so we headed over to Hoof Hearted and had a quick beer to kill some time. After that, we dropped everything off at the BNB and got ready for our special night! (Side note: on the way down to Columbus we stopped a couple times to check out some stores so that I could find a new outfit and I ended up getting one at ... Old Navy! Crazy fashionista, am I right?!) So, new outfit and all, we headed out for our special night. We primarily used Uber the entire evening (safety first!) and really liked every driver we had. They were all so friendly! Love when you get a good person to drive you around :) 

First stop! Seventh Son. When Cade and I first went here a year and a half'ish ago, we immediately knew it wouldn't be our last. Great little stop, and the staff is super friendly. Oh, and the drinks are good too, I suppose! 



We each had a couple of drinks and chatted about this and that. It was mainly me just repeatedly saying things like "I can't believe you planned all of this!" ... "I swear I'm not going to cry in a public place, but I just love you so much for all of this" ... and then the occasional "alright!" said in my best Linda Belcher voice.

After we left Seventh Son we still had some time to kill. So we decided to Uber to the restaurant and just walk into somewhere near there for a drink, or to check out a shop. Right next to Seventh Son was a place called "Novak's Tavern" and we decided to check it out. You go up the steps and it's a really nice, local-feeling bar. The bartenders were incredibly friendly and the one, Alexa, and I actually kind-of had something in common. Que "it's a small world after all". Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures here, but that's only because the conversation was so good that I didn't want to take my phone out. 

Onward and upward to THE BEST PART OF THE WEEKEND, DARE I EVEN SAY... YEAR.

Yep, date time. We had a great table with a beautiful view of the restaurant and kitchen and the meals... Oh boy. They were unbelievably good. Seriously, you wouldn't believe me if I tried to describe them.






This bread was magnificent and mouth-watering, "ugh!" worthy bread and then you throw in that pesto sauce... Phenomenal!    




I had the chicken carbonera for the first time in MY ENTIRE LIFE and why did I wait so long?! WHY!?

To top it all off, we finished our meal with that cheesecake pictured at the top. It's a mascarpone cheesecake and truly was the icing on top. Every bit of this dinner was incredible and again... the staff was friendly as could be. I'm sounding like a broken record, I know. 

When the meal was finished we were full of food and excitement. It was getting a little late and we knew that we had a full itinerary for the next day so we opted to head back for bed rather than stay out further. Definitely a good decision on our part (hello rest and water!).

This feels like it's already getting a bit long so I'm going to save "day two" for another post. 

Thanks for reading, and for letting me share a bit of our fantastic date night. The pictures, and the memories are incredible, but the conversations and the special moments are what I'll remember most. I sure do love that man of mine and I am beyond blessed that he loves me enough to have planned something like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment