Tuesday, January 30, 2018

let's make this quick [links]






Let me first start with Aly Raisman's statement, in court, to Larry Nassar. I had to stop so many times while reading it to wipe the tears from my eyes. Tears of pain for what those girls went through, and equal tears of empowerment. Talk about strength and facing your fears. If you have a few minutes to spare then I would highly encourage you to read it. It's moving, it's heartfelt, and it's strong. Here is a quick article and a video of the speech, and here is a word-for-word excerpt of her entire statement. If you can't read the entire thing, then, please, at least read this bit: 


I am here to face you Larry, so you can see I have regained my strength — that I am no longer a victim, I am a survivor. I am no longer that little girl you met in Australia where you first began grooming and manipulating.
As for your letter yesterday, you are pathetic to think that anyone would have any sympathy for you. You think this is hard for you? Imagine how all of us feel.
Imagine how it feels to be an innocent teenager in a foreign country, hearing a knock on the door, and it’s you. I don’t want you to be there, but I don’t have a choice. Treatments with you were mandatory. You took advantage of that. You even told on us if we didn’t want to be treated by you, knowing full well the troubles that would cause for us.

Lying on my stomach with you on my bed, insisting that your inappropriate touch would help to heal my pain. The reality is you caused me a great deal of physical, mental and emotional pain. You never healed me. You took advantage of our passions and our dreams. (Aly Raisman)

Some of you might remember over last summer (Summer 2017), there was a dialect test going around the interwebs? Well, I took it and here are all of the results. I found this SUPER interesting!  

If I haven't already tried some of these teas, then I want to! The ones I have tried from that list are some of my favorite, so I'm sure the others will blow my mind all the same.

Just came across this blog and I am obsessed. I could spend hours reading it. New favorite! 

Let's talk podcasts: 

Endless Thread was just recently released and it's already a top chart fav of mine.
Atlanta Monster started as a "got him!" and is quickly turning into a "who dun' it?!" 
Stuff You Should Know (SYSK) has been around for a bit, but I am really loving it and I haven't ever talked about it! 
How I Built This is incredible! Just start with the Kate and Andy Spade episode and go from there. It's a rabbit hole that I gladly got sucked into! 

Speaking of Kate Spade, I learned (by listening to the podcast) that she no longer owns her original brand (as in, 0% ... zilch, nada!), but has since started a new one. It's named Frances Valentine and I am in love. I may never be able to afford anything from there, but hey... a gal can dream! 

I just recently finished The Assistants and I really enjoyed it! I found myself relating to the main character in so many ways which kind of made me imagine myself in her situation. The only difference is that I am not... an assistant. BUT, if I were then it would be spooky. 

I also JUST finished Behind Closed Doors and, WOW! What a great story. There were some parts that were difficult to read (verbal abuse) but if you can get past that then it's incredible. There's also a wonderful twist at the end that made me giddishly holler "YES GIRL!". 

And now I'm reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I'll have to report back on that one later. My goal is to read 3-4 books each month of 2018. So far, so good! 

That's all I've got for today. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment