Monday, April 2, 2018

this kind of love.



I recently listened to the Wrongful Conviction Podcast and was so taken aback by part of the story that I felt like I needed to share it. Unfortunately, I only listen to this podcast once or twice a month so I am not much of a heavy follower, but it is a great podcast and I want to (and will) listen to it more. 

Malcolm Alexander was recently released from Angola prison in Louisiana after serving 38 years for a crime that he didn’t commit. His story is available now thanks to the Innocence project, as mentioned in the Wrongful Conviction podcast hosted by Jason Flom.

Here is Malcolm's closing words at the end of the podcast. I listened to them four times in a row. 

Well, […] you know, you never lose thought of your family and it’s especially important that your family never loses thought of you, so you just like, set a goal for yourself… and your goal is to return back to your loved ones. But […] I never realized how much this had affected them. I guess I was just so caught up in getting back to them that I never took the time to think about how that affected them.. And since I’ve been out, it’s like … man, y’all really missed me. Y’all really kept love for me. It wasn’t just saying it, or even doing the little things or sending me money… nothing like that. It was just like we needed you. And… I just say it’s nice to know you are really loved.

Malcolm has spent the majority of his life in one of America's worst prisons knowing that he was completely, and totally innocent... At the time, leaving behind a 2 year old son along with everything he's ever known. When he was released, he wasn't angry. He wasn't bitter. He didn't try to seek revenge... Instead, he was overwhelmed with love. And it's all thanks to the people who never gave up on him that he's able to smile and enjoy everything in life now. I just think that is incredible. Please, if you have the time, or if you are interest in this kind of thing, then I would strongly suggest listening to this episode. It's such a terribly beautiful story... I don't know how I would react if I were in his shoes, but I only hope I could be half the person he is.

Love is so powerful, right?







No comments:

Post a Comment