Friday, April 27, 2018

i'll be a good person.

“Anything is possible”

World peace? Can we make that possible?


OK, fine that’s a long stretch. Maybe just some resemblance of peace. How about eliminating violence? I could be happy with that peace. That would be a start.

I’ve had harsh words spewed at me before and I’m still standing. I got over them, as most people do. 

Violence, though. Any kind. I’m not going to minimize it down to one specific category... From young black men dying by the hands of a cop to a group of innocent people killed by a lunatic driving a van. I used to think it was absolutely crazy of me to think “it’ll get worse before it gets better” because there was a stigma attached to it that I was somehow hoping for the worst. But now I know that was naive. Crazy right? Naive of me to think that it’s going to get really, really bad and then it’ll get better. 

I didn’t think that there ever needed to be a movement to show, or even vocalize that you’re a good person. It should be assumed, right? I don't know... maybe we should. Maybe I have to actively pronounce that I am not unnecessarily rude or willing to incite violence. Maybe I need to announce to the world that I am not racist or homophobic. I was raised with good intentions. Love first. Get to know someone... don’t assume their story.

I've stayed quiet for so long. I stayed quiet because I didn't want to upset those who "didn't want to hear it" and I stayed quiet because, honestly, I didn't think people cared what my own personal, measly opinion would be... But maybe we, as a nation, need to collectively announce we're good people. Maybe that's where we need to go, for now.

I promise to always try to be the best person that I can. I promise to not judge you, or be prejudice. I promise to be the example of the people that I would like to see populate my generation, and the generations to come.

I'll be a good person.


No comments:

Post a Comment