Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A recipe a week. (or so I hope!)

I've decided that in 2014 I really want to cook! I want to learn new recipes and put a spin on foods we already eat regularly. I want to feel like "Susie Home-Maker"! For Christmas (and some not for Christmas) we got a rice cooker, a crock pot, and an electric wok. That's motivation enough to push myself to cook more.

Here's my idea - I want to learn to cook something new every week in 2014. I know with school and life and what not it might get difficult but even if I'm just making something small... I still want to do this! I would love to share them all with you guys so please keep me on my toes and remind me.

For this weeks recipe Cade and I made Chicken and Dumpling soup. (Also thanks to this freezing cold weather, soup sounded like the best idea!)

Here's how we did it. (and it was amazing!)

What you'll need!

Olive Oil
2 Carrots
3-4 sticks of Celery
1 Onion (I'm partial to onions so I used a half.. still worked!)
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Cup Pearl Barley (although, I probably won't recommend this. I wasn't the biggest fan.)
6 Cups of Chicken Broth
Celery Salt
3-4 Bay Leaves
Salt
Nutmeg
1-2 Chicken Breasts
1 Cup Milk
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Butter (One Stick)
3 Eggs


Cut up all your veggies!


^^See mom. I told you we really did add onions. ^^

While your cutting/simmering your vegetables start cooking the chicken in a separate pan. Once the chicken is cooked you can shred it and add it to the broth.
Add a little bit of Olive Oil in the bottom of your pot and throw the veggies in. Let them simmer for a while.

Once the veggies have simmered add the chicken broth, pearl barley, celery salt, and bay leaves.

In a separate little pan, put your cup of milk and half a cup of butter. Bring to a boil then add the nutmeg and salt.
Immediately add it to the flour. Stir until it's made a glob and no longer feels the need to be liquid-y. Once it's set add your eggs one at a time. I added a little bit of flour after each egg so that it remained consistent.   
           

Using a spoon, add bouncy ball sized dumplings to the soup. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then enjoy!!





Phew, I feel good after that one. I think I can do this. Wish me luck!

Let me know if you make this and how it turns out! (Also if you made any revisions. I'm curious what I could do to add to it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment