Monday, June 4, 2018

may book recap [100 words or less]


May I tell you about the books I read this month? Well then, let's spring into them. Jokes, I got them! Who wants them?!

In May, I read: 

Little Fires Everywhere
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
Lies That Bind Us
Close to Home
I've Got My Eyes on You



Little Fires Everywhere

Mia and Pearl Warren move frequently, and all over the place. Their latest endeavor brought them to Shaker Heights, OH (a suburb of Cleveland). The Richardson family has graciously allowed for them to stay in their duplex with very low rent per month. Soon after their arrival, a young woman who, in a moment of despair, leaves her newborn baby at a fire station decides that it was a mistake and she wants her baby back. This makes for big news in the town and suddenly, the city is divided. More specifically the Warren's and Richardson's




I read Celeste Ng's first book (Everything I Never Told You) and really liked her style of writing. I was very much hoping that her second book would be just as good... it was better! My deepest apologies to "Everything I Never Told You" but if you want to read something great from Ng, then read this. The writing, the story, the captivation. It's all there, and it's all good.














My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

Elsa is seven (almost eight) and her grandmother is her very best friend. She shares so much with her grandma and that includes most of her time. When her grandmother falls ill, she sends Elsa on a task to apologize to those who she feels she's wronged. Along the way, Elsa learns a lot about her grandmother, her mother, and in turn, herself.




Oh guys... I wanted to like this! I really, really did. Just like "Little Fires Everywhere" I had high hopes for this book based on the authors previous novel that I read. I really liked Fredrik Backman's writing in "A Man Called Ove" but unfortunately, this book didn't get me. It's very slow and the moments where the story does pull me in, don't last. This was the first book of the year that I closed and didn't care if I finished it. That kinda broke my heart... 
















Lies That Bind Us

Jan is ready for a vacation. She was just handed a nice promotion and her life is seemingly perfect. What better way to celebrate than to go back to the beautiful beach in Greece where she met her lifelong friends just a few years ago? It's going to be a great trip... or is it? Her ex-boyfriend, Marcus, is going to be there. Oh, and one small detail, she has some demons in her closet that may, or may not come back to haunt her.






This was the first book from the newly established "Keep It Casual" book club! The suspense from the middle until near the end was incredible! It had me gripping the next page, ready to turn, so as not to waste a single millisecond. There were parts that very seriously haunted me! I had to look at something happy after a couple reads to forget some of the more scary bits... Unfortunately, the beginning other scattered parts contained some dragging... Another complaint is the ending. It almost seemed like the author didn't know how to end it. I'm not sure I'd recommend this read... but I also don't think that I'd urge you to not read it, if you want to. 












Close to Home

Just in time to kick off summer, the Mason's have a big backyard party. Lots of families come with their kiddo's and there is plenty of fun to be had. Towards the end of the evening, parents Sharon and Barry Mason notice something... their daughter, Daisy, is missing. The hunt is immediately on and the police and detectives arrive that night. In most cases, a child abduction happens close to home. Could it be Barry or Sharon? Perhaps the brother, Leo? Maybe it was someone else, maybe she ran away... 




HOLY BANANAS, friends. This book had me from page one, all the way until the end. WOW. Cara Hunter is worthy of all praise. This story, the way you get to know everyone involved, the sudden changes that convince you of something only to change your mind on the next page. This book has it all and it's an easy/quick read. Clocking in at under 300 pages you'll be SO glad that you read this. I don't want to say too much because every detail is perfect and should be read as it was meant to be...  One thing though, out of all endings, of all books I've read... This one is the LEAST predictable. I wish I could force everyone to read this book just so that I could see their reactions when it ended. 











I've Got My Eyes on You

Kerry just graduated high school and with college coming up, she decides to have an "end of summer" party while her family is out of town. The next morning when the parents return home they find a messy house and then the un-imaginable... they find Kerry, lifeless, at the bottom of their pool. Who could've done such a terrible crime to a overall great young lady that's never been in any trouble, or had any issues with friends/family. Read until the very end to find out! 


This was a SUPER quick weekend read. Just over 200 pages and the chapters are about 1.5-3 pages each. Very short and to the point. I really liked this book for that reason because, in my opinion, it became predictable at a certain point and I have to imagine the author knew that. It's a good "whodunnit" book that develops great story lines and isn't complicated in the slightest. My only complaint was reading some of the conversations... they had a tendency to repeat the person's name that they were speaking to. (Aline, how have you been? Aline, I asked you here for a reason... Aline, I need to know..., etc. You get the point :) ) 











Phewie! May is now "in the books" Oh god, I'm stopping now. 

Welcome June! I've got some fun ones planned and hopefully I can get to them all! 




No comments:

Post a Comment