Monday, November 13, 2017

a day at the museum



Over the weekend Cade, his mom, her husband and I found ourselves at the Cleveland Museum of Art. I love this art museum so much. It's so beautiful, well kept and peaceful. In fact, I think it even ranks as one of the best in the country!

Anyway, here's a quick backstory to add to what I loved so much about it this particular day... I have been dealing with the worlds most annoying cold and all I've wanted to do is nothing. I wake up super tired and exhausted and to top it off I can't even taste my food or drinks. So yeah, what is life right now anyway?! (kidding, of course). SO, Saturday morning I woke up and put on the most acceptable, comfy clothes that I owned (lots of layers) and we headed out. I was bundled up, and also had my hat, scarf, gloves, etc... We got to the museum when it opened and it was so warm and inviting on the inside compared to the 20'ish degrees that was the outside. I left my layers on and we meandered around the museum. I took it all in, every painting, sculpture, photograph... I read each script next to the piece of work and I imagined myself as the artist at the time. It felt so comforting and romantic. Just me these incredible parts of history. I was standing in front of a beautiful painting when a guard came up and said good morning and asked how I was... My response was something like "I'm great, I'm here!" and she grew this giant smile on her face and said that even though it was work, there was no where else she'd want to be that Saturday morning. 

So, with the comfort and layers keeping me warm, the beautiful, timeless work keeping  me occupied, and great company (family and museum workers included), I was having a Saturday for the books. 



See what I mean? The whole thing to ourselves!









Fun fact: You are allowed to take pictures and whatnot, but there is a limit to just how close you can stand to the work. I found that out right after I took this picture. The lady nicely told me that I was standing too close... But what is that going to do?! I wasn't breathing on it. Oh well, now I know. I guess.


I love Monet. I loved standing in this room with something that he's touched and created with his own hands. Something about that just makes me feel a little more significant in life.


Ok, but in all honesty. I heeded the lady's advice and I really wanted to do my best to follow the rules, BUT then I had to go and stand next to Van Gogh's work and somehow I find myself standing (probably) too close. I tried... I really did. 




I don't even think we made it out of the building when I was telling Cade that I already wanted to go back. We will be soon enough. Especially with winter on it's way in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment